DECORATIVE WINDOW GUARDS. DECORATIVE WINDOW
Decorative window guards. Hawaiian home decorating
Decorative Window Guards
- Small crossbars that are installed on apartment windows that prevent small children from falling out of a window. These are required by law for every apartment where a child under 10 lives and must be installed by the landlord at no cost to the tenant.
- Official VW name for the aluminum rods mounted on the inside of the rear windows on Deluxe model buses to prevent luggage/cargo from hitting the rear windows. See slang term: Jailbars.
- Serving to make something look more attractive; ornamental
- (decorativeness) an appearance that serves to decorate and make something more attractive
- Relating to decoration
- cosmetic: serving an esthetic rather than a useful purpose; "cosmetic fenders on cars"; "the buildings were utilitarian rather than decorative"
Door and Window Draft Stopper - Taupe
Help lower your energy bills all year round by insulating drafty doors and windows with a Draft-Dodger Door and Window Insulator. This decorative draft stopper measures a full three feet wide to fit in front of standard household doors and windows and effectively helps to eliminate the worst drafts and air leaks throughout a home. Door & Window Draft Stopper Features Strong and soft 100% polyester exterior finished in a stylish taupe to match a wide variety of home decor. Durable polyester fabric is surface washable. Insulator stuffed with styrene pellets and polyester fiberfill that effectively absorbs drafts. Bundles of gravel positioned to give extra weight and keep the draft blocker in place. Three foot width accommodates the bottom of most standard household doors and windows. Minimizes air leakage which can account for up to 40% of the total energy lost by an average household. A simple and inexpensive way to help lower energy bills all year round.
Midtown Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States of America
The Knox Building, one of the finest Beaux-Arts style commercial buildings in the city, was designed by the notable New York City architect John H. Duncan. Built in 1902-02 as the headquarters of the Knox Hat Company, the building occupies an especially prominent . midtown Manhattan location on Fifth Avenue at 40th Street opposite the New York Rib lie Library.
The Knox Hat Company had been founded in 1838 by Charles Knox at 110 Fulton Street, east of Broadway. Much of lower Manhattan had been devastated by a major fire in 1835. In the period of recovery which followed, New York's retail businesses began to locate along Broadway and the adjacent side streets.
The Knox Company undoubtedly benefited from the popularity of beaver hats during that period, and business prospered until the Civil War. Sometime after the Civil War the company was taken over by Edward M. Knox (18417-1916), son of the founder. The younger Knox had enlisted with the Eighth New York Volunteers in the Union army after the fall of Fort Sumter, supposedly when he was only 17.
Commissioned a second lieutenant in the 15th Independent Light Battery H of the Irish Brigade (69th Regiment), he fought in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. He was wounded in the last of these, and almost completely paralyzed by the bullet in his thigh he was carried to the rear and later found by his father in a ruined church at Gettysburg."
He remained paralyzed for over two years, but recovered after an operation and rest cure in Geneva, Switzerland. Knox then returned to New York to assume management of the family hat business.
The company had been having financial difficulties because of litigation over a trademark and the destruction of the Fulton Street store in the 1865 fire that burned down the nearby P.T. Barnum's museum at Broadway and Ann Street. Edward Knox turned the business around and continued to expand "with the intention of
making his name known wherever a hat was sold." The downtown store was rebuilt at 212 Broadway, next door to the National Park Bank.
This branch later moved into the Singer Building. As the fashionable shopping district moved northward on Broadway and Sixth Avenue to the area between Union Square and Madison Square, the Knox Hat Company followed the trend, opening another store in the Fifth Avenue Hotel at 23rd Street. Knox decided that the company should undertake its own hat manufacturing and established the Knox Hat Factory at St. Mark's and Grand Avenues in Brooklyn. A large brick structure with a corner tower, the guilding survives although without the mansard roof and four-faced clock that surmounted the tower. Below the clock was the inscription "Knox the Hatter."
Knox's own fortunes continued to expand with those of the company. He also invested profitably in real estate. In 1892 he was voted a medal of honor by the United States Congress for bravery at Gettysburg . The Grand Army of the Republic gave him a jeweled sword of honor as "the most popular and handsomest officer of the encampment." He was also elected colonel of the 69th Regiment and continued to use the title until his death.
By the turn of the century New York's retail trade was continuing its uptown move, establishing itself on Fifth Avenue between 34th and 42nd Streets. Among the prestigious merchants who located there were B. Altman (1906), Tiffany (1906), Gorham (1906), Lord & Taylor (1897-98), and Arnold Constable (1915-16). In 1901 Colonel Knox purchased land on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 40th Street, across from the site of the recently vacated reservoir where the New York Public Library was under construction, and commissioned a building from the noted New York architect John H. Duncan.
Duncan (1855-1929), a founding member of the Architectural League of New York in 1881, had established his own architectural practice in 1886. Shortly thereafter he won the competition to design the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch in Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, dedicated to the men who fought in the Union forces during the Civil War. Built in 1889-92, it is a monumental arch in the Roman Imperial tradition. In 1890 Duncan won the competition to design the General Grant National Memorial, more familiarly known as Grant's Tomb.
Built in 1891-97, It too was inspired by the Classical sources of Greek and Roman architecture. Colonel Knox had extensive connections with Civil War veterans and was an officer in the Grant Monument Association; undoubtedly Knox had met Duncan in his capacity as architect for the two memorials..
Following his work on the two monuments, Duncan began to acquire a clientele of affluent New Yorkers who commissioned him to design residences on the Upper East Side, in midtown Manhattan, and on West 76th Street. For his residential designs Duncan preferred the French sources pro
67 East 93rd Street House
George F. Baker Jr. House, Upper East Side, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
This charming house was built in 1931 end designed in a modified version of the popular neo-Federal style by the prestigious firm of Delano & Aldrich. It forms a cohesive architectural unit with the larger George F. Baker, Jr., House complex to the east which includes the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia and 69 East 93rd Street, both designated New York City Landmarks, which were also designed by Delano & Aldrich.
The area in which the house is located acquired the name "Carnegie Hill" soon . after Andrew Carnegie erected his mansion at Fifth Avenue and 91st Street at the turn of the century.
Although middle-class residences had been built in the area in the 1880s and 1890s, Carnegie's move uptown inspired other well-to-do business and professional people to also build here—a trend which continued into the 1930s. George F. Baker, Jr. (1878-1937) began his banking career with J.P. Morgan, a close friend of his father, George F. Baker, known as the dean of American banking.
In the First National Bank of the City of Mew York, he rose from clerk to Vice-chairman and at the death of his father in 1931, succeeded him as Chairman of the Board. It was intended that George F. Baker, Sr., should live at No. 67 Fast 93rd Street, but he died before he could move in. In 1931 the property was transferred to Edith Baker, the wife of George F. Raker, Jr., who now lives in the house.
The four-story house is built of red brick laid in English bond and is carefully designed to harmonize with the larger Baker complex. The main doorway on the ground floor is enframed by stone and surmounted by an striking arched "broken" pediment enframing a motif of paired dolphins with central finial that includes the house number. A leaf-and-tongue molding decorates the lower chord of this pediment which is supported on console brackets. The subordinate service door is capped by a lintel with Greek fret motif at the ends. At the mezzanine above the first floor, small square windows are accented by stone enframements.
The two lower floors are separated from the upper stories by a broad bandcourse linking the house to the Baker complex. on the east. The tall parlor floor windows above the mezzanine have handsome curved wrought-iron window guards and pediment-shaped lintels with classical fruit ornaments, while the fourth floor windows have lintels displaying chain motifs. The house is crowned by a stone roof cornice with a decorative molding beneath it.
The architectural details and the carefully executed brickwork of this house are characteristic of the neo-Federal style and are used to charming effect. Carefully combined with the Baker complex on the east to form a cohesive architectural unit, this house adds distinction to the block and enhances the Carnegie Hill area.
- From the 1974 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report
decorative window guards
Maintain lower energy all year round bills by insulating drafty doors and windows with a Denim Draft-Dodger Door and Window Insulator. This heavy duty decorative draft stopper measures a full three feet wide to fit in front of standard household doors and windows and effectively minimizes the worst drafts and costly air leaks. Denim Door & Window Draft Stopper Features Strong and soft 100% polyester exterior with a denim blue color. Durable polyester fabric is surface washable. Stuffed with styrene pellets and polyester fiberfill that effectively absorbs and eliminates drafts. Bundles of gravel are positioned to provide extra weight that keeps the draft blocker in place. Three foot width accommodates the bottom of most standard household doors and windows. Minimizes air leakage which may account for up to 40% of the total energy lost by an average household. A simple and inexpensive way to help keep energy bills low all year round. Also ideal for eliminating drafts from
wall painting decoration
christian christmas decor
lake home decorations
decoration ideas for thanksgiving
decorate boys rooms
decorating space theme
solus decor inc
1980's themed party decorations
western wall decorations
hockey wall decor
DECORATIVE IRON WINDOW BARS : WINDOW BARS « HOME » FALL TABLE DECORATIONS FOR WEDDING : FALL TABLE DECORATIONS
Post a comment